Saturday, January 21, 2012

KUALA LIPIS - HARI PONGAL

Having photography as my favourite pass time, I am always gamed for something exciting, new and interesting to shoot. And this includes capturing the beautiful essence [if I may be so bold to state that :) ] of Malaysia's multi racial communities.

And recently I unexpectedly got the opportunity. Recently as in last Sunday during Pongal day. As I stepped out of the hotel I was staying in at Kuala Lipis Pahang, I heard sounds of prayers and music from a nearby Hindu temple. I immediately got excited as I remembered that it was Pongal day. So I made my way there and terfikir masa tu kalau dpt shoot dari luar pun jadi le.

Tgh sibuk2 jengok dan ambik a couple of shots at the entrance, the temple keeper said, 'Abg, boleh masuk bang' while his hand beckoning to me inviting me to enter the temple premise.
I asked, 'Eh... betul ker? Saya tak nak la ganggu ceremony hari ni'.
'Tak pe bang, boleh masuk' sambil tersenyum.
'Boleh ke saya ambik gambar?'.
'Boleh, boleh'.

Wahh.... he didn't need to ask me twice :). But still in that state of excitedness, I knew I must be respectful and not be in any way distracting the devotees or disrupting the ceremony.

So I took off my sandals and proceeded to enter, all the while greeting the nearby devotees with smiles and 'Happy Pongal' wishes. This instantly put them at ease. I believe any one would feel a bit uncomfortable or curious seeing someone of different race and religion and especially with a camera enters one's religious sanctuary. I even waived at a few of them who were looking from afar. When I was greeted back with friendly smiles and waves, I immediately knew I am now ready to take some shots. I always think that in this situation, I must not just simply enter and start shooting without making some sort of connection with the people there.

Such beautiful people, such beautiful ceremony.

















Berikut adalah senarai links untuk entries Kuala Lipis saya:
1) KUALA LIPIS - HARI PONGAL
2) MORNING WALK AT KUALA LIPIS - HISTORICAL BUILDINGS
3) MORNING WALK AT KUALA LIPIS

No photograph may be reproduced, downloaded, copied, stored, manipulated, or used whole or in part of a derivative work, without written permission from Syed Amran. All rights reserved.

3 comments:

  1. kadang2 kenali adat resam agama lain pun menarik jugak kan..

    ReplyDelete
  2. NP - Ehh... to me memang le sgt sgt menarik. Especially after coming to the realization that something that interesting had all this while been practically right in front of my eyes! :)

    ReplyDelete